- This event has passed.
St Mary of the Angels (ii)
... an outstanding example of "ferro-concrete" Gothic design
Tuesday 26 September 2017, 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
In response to popular demand, we are pleased to offer members another opportunity to enjoy a detailed tour of this beautiful and historic church by the Parish priest, Father Barry Scannell.
After almost 4 years of strengthening work, St Mary of the Angels in Wellington has reopened. The church was closed after Wellington’s 6.5 magnitude Seddon earthquake in July 2013. The Category-1 heritage building was officially reopened and blessed on 12 April 2017 by Cardinal John Dew, the Catholic Archbishop of Wellington. The site of St Mary of the Angels has considerable historical significance, as it was where Wellington’s first Catholic Church was built in 1843. The first church was enlarged several times and in 1874 a larger church was opened. The current building is the third church to be built on the site. In 1918, the 1874 church was destroyed by fire.
The commission to design the new church was given to Frederick de Jersey Clere. Construction began in April 1919 and the new church was blessed and opened by Archbishop Redwood on Sunday, 26 March 1922. Architecturally, the design is traditional Gothic of French influence. Frederick de Jersey Clere was a pioneer and enthusiastic advocate of reinforced concrete design. St Mary of the Angels is an outstanding example of “ferro-concrete” Gothic design and is certainly his best known church. The church is notable for its fine proportions, its exterior form and detailing, and an elegant Gothic interior. It is a Boulcott Street landmark.
You will find a good account of our previous visit here.
Member $15, non-member $20 or bring a friend at the member's price