- This event has passed.
Science for Lunch: Taiao │ Nature: Behind-the-Scenes
With Te Papa's Experience & Design Team
Tuesday 6 November 2018, 12pm - 1pm
Part of our Science for Lunch series, join Te Papa’s exhibition team to go behind the scenes of the upcoming Taiao │ Nature zone due to open in mid 2019, and get a rare preview of the new experience. Hear how rich specimens, powerful storytelling, interactivity, and community collaboration have helped us bring our exhibition aspiration to life: From awe to action. Bring your lunch along and explore with our experts. Please note that this event is exclusive to Friends members only and will contain confidential information, no photography please.
Creating Taiao │ Nature
When Te Papa began redeveloping its long-term natural-history exhibitions, we faced some big questions.
- How do we inspire visitors to connect with Aotearoa’s unique environment without recreating what they can experience outside?
- How do we approach mātauranga (Māori knowledge) and Western science in way that gives equal respect to both?
- Pests, water quality, climate change … how do we confront major environmental challenges in a way that empowers people rather than sends them home depressed?
- What might a re-imagined Earthquake House and colossal squid look like?
- How might the new exhibitions support broader aspirations, like revitalising te reo Māori and being a safe place for debate?
- Frith Williams, Head of Experience Design and Content
- Jen Craddock, Lead Exhibition Experience Developer
- Leon Perrie, Lead Curator
- Amos Mann, Lead Digital Producer
Feature image: Kiwi, 2017. Photo and design by Nick Clarkson. Te Papa
Includes free parking