Rutherford House Art Collection
Wednesday 8 November 2017, 10:30am - 12pm
< Back to Events
Rutherford House was officially opened in 1975 by Prime Minister Norman Kirk. Built as the headquarters of the New Zealand Electricity Department it was named in commemoration of scientist Baron Ernest Rutherford and his pioneering research laying the foundations for modern nuclear physics.
Today, Rutherford House, is part of Victoria University of Wellington’s Pipitea Campus, housing the Victoria Business School. Colin McCahon’s largest painting, conceived as a public statement in opposition to the nuclear arms race, Gate III, 1970, hangs in the foyer. Join Adam Art Gallery Director Christina Barton for some insights into this and other items from the Victoria University of Wellington (VUW) Art Collection on display at Rutherford House.
The VUW Art Collection was initiated by university staff in 1947, who voted to set aside funds to enable original works of New Zealand art to be purchased and hung in the University common room. Since then it has grown to become a nationally significant collection of modern and contemporary New Zealand art. This is now managed by the Adam Art Gallery, which works with the VUW Art Collection Trust to care for and develop the Collection for the benefit of staff, students and the wider public. Key artists on this tour will include, Ava Seymour, Colin McCahon, Robyn Kahukiwa, and Sandy Adsett.
Feature image: 11 Bars of Oboe, 2010, 11 colour photographs by Ava Seymour (born 1967). Victoria University of Wellington Art Collection, purchased 2010.