« All Events
THIS EVENT IS NOW FULLY BOOKED.
Following the success of our two tours last year, we are pleased to offer members another opportunity to join Dr Hamish Campbell on a field excursion of the Wellington peninsula exploring the geological highlights.
Departing from Te Papa, this bus tour will involve short walks, 5-10 minutes, across rough ground. Suitable all-weather clothing and strong shoes or boots are recommended.
Dr Hamish Campbell, geologist, GNS Science/Te Papa, will guide you on his field excursion of various significant geological locations including:
1) Wrights Hill Reserve, Karori to observe the Wellington Fault from on high
2) Worser Bay to consider active geological processes and some archaeology of Wellington Harbour
from the Wahine Memorial at Churchill Park, Seatoun
3) Breaker Bay to take in the geology to the east of Wellington Harbour
4) Lyall Bay for a refreshment stop at Belmondo International Food Market.
5) Princess Bay the ‘richest’ fossil locality within the Wellington greywacke
6) Island Bay to see volcanic rocks within the greywacke
7) Owhiro Bay to see what faults look like when they cut greywacke bedrock in the vertical plane
The bus will depart from Te Papa at 9:30am. The 4-5 hour tour will include a stop for refreshments.
Members $35, non-members $40 (includes coach travel, refreshments and free parking at Te Papa)